Monday, January 4, 2010

Yeah friends!

I can't believe people are actually reading this! I'm glad that you are all as excited about reading about my adventures as I am about writing about them! I hope you will all feel comfortable to include your fun stuff here, or just to tell me that this is all not really as interesting as I think it is and not to waste any more cyberspace. Either way. :)

Yesterday, I told you all about the delicious granola that I made. Well, I had some today for breakfast with a little french vanilla yogurt and I was over the moon. I mean, pure deliciosity. With the yogurt, it really does taste like a creamsicle. I didn't even add the blueberries because there are so many fruity flavors in the granola, I just didn't think it needed anything else. Success!

Not so successful was the first Chris-friendly salad I made for us last night. It was an asian steak salad with peanut sesame dressing. I think the idea is great, but it needs some work. It may actually be as simple as salt...I just think that a little more salt in the dressing could have brought out all of the peanut, sesame and spice flavors. As it was, it was kind of bland. It was pretty, though. Here's a picture. The actual salad was great- it had baby greens, red peppers, sno peas, carrots and red cabbage in it. Very asisan. We will have to try it again some time soon.

Chris was funny about his first day of healthy eating. When I asked him if he liked it (and braced for his answer, because I actually didn't like it that much) he said "It doesn't matter if I like it. This diet is war. It is just me versus my body and I'm kicking my ass!" He's a trip sometimes.

I also made a new salad tonight, which, like the steak salad, was beautiful but not as good as it could have been. Dressing fail, two nights in a row. The recipe for this salad, which was called a loaded spinach salad, called for blue cheese. Now, blue cheese dressing makes me gag just thinking about it, so I made a red wine vinaigrette. The dressing was delicious, but not right for this salad. Ah, I guess you live and you learn. One day I hope you will all be reading about the amazing salads that I made that worked out well, but for now, we can all laugh at my dressing failures. Also just like the salad last night, this one had amazing stuff in it. Greens, carrots, eggs, pecans, and BEETS! I think that honey mustard with it will be the perfect combination. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is a picture of tonight's salad before I mixed it all up. I thought it was so beautiful and colorful.

I think tomorrow is a fail-proof salad: salmon dill salad. Should be easy and we will be able to chalk one up in the win column. Then Chris will look like this:
Isn't he cute?

Last thing for tonight...I was listening to the radio on Sunday when I was making granola and I caught one of my favorite NPR programs of all time- Speaking of Faith with Krista Tippett. I never heard this program in Charlotte or Raleigh, so I don't know if it is new or if it is only in NC on WFDD. But, if you are all looking for some amazing conversations to fill your time when you are doing something mundane, tune into Krista. The first program I ever heard was one where she was talking to the director a thinktank (I guess that is what you would call it) called the Play Institute or some other amazing thing like that. He was a former work-aholic doctor who now researches the importance of play in our lives. And the show just blew my mind and reminded me of the importance of having fun...maybe this blog came out of that show in some way.

Anyways, Speaking of Faith is not really a religious program, so for those of you, who like me, aren't certain that you and God need a middle man , don't run away from it! She discusses really amazing topics and most of them are totally non-denominational, even if they do touch on things that are connected to spirituality. Check it out here! And I even found a link to the show about with the Play Institute guy here! They have the ENTIRE UNEDITED INTERVIEW on that page! Could I get any happier? Enjoy!

Tomorrow: teas and balzac?

1 comment:

  1. Such a great blog, Jen! The steak salad looks absolutely delish - I'm sure you'll be able to tweak it so it tastes as good as it looks. I admit I laughed outloud when Chris said that about "me versus my body and I'm kicking my ass!" He's so great! Thanks for the link to Speaking of Faith. I'd never heard of the program before but I'm going to check it out. Sounds really interesting. You're a great writer!

    ReplyDelete